Novak Djokovic Is Set To Compete In Australian Open Despite His Visa Issues
Touchaheart Nigeria reports that despite the Immigration Minister debating whether or not to cancel Novak Djokovic’s visa for the second time, he is expected to play in the Australian Open.
A spokesperson for Alex Hawke said in a statement on Tuesday, January 11, that he is ‘thoroughly’ examining whether to use his discretionary powers to reject Djokovic’s visa, which was reinstated by a judge on Monday.
‘As noted yesterday in the Federal Circuit and Family Court, Minister Hawke is considering whether to cancel Mr. Djokovic’s visa,’ he said. ‘In line with due process, Minister Hawke will thoroughly consider the matter.’
With the Australian Open starting in only six days, it’s uncertain how long Mr. Hawke will take to make a decision. Novak Djokovic aspires to become the tournament’s all-time most successful male player.
The remarks follow Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce’s admission that he was mistaken about the tennis star’s deportation.
‘I got it wrong. I thought that it would be game, set, match that he hadn’t been double vaxxed and he would’ve been asked to go,’ Mr Joyce said.
‘I got it wrong, okay. I’m not going to pretend to be a solicitor again.’
A Border Force official denied Djokovic a visa to enter Australia on January 6 because he is not Covid-vaccinated and got the virus in December.
The Serb, who had been granted a medical exemption by Tennis Australia, believed he passed immunisation standards outlined by Australia’s advisory council and had a federal government declaration allowing him to go.
Mr. Joyce had backed the decision to dismiss Djokovic. Djokovic, on the other hand, pursued his case to the Federal Circuit Court, where Judge Anthony Kelly overturned the visa rejection on Monday.
Judge Kelly decided that ripping up Djokovic’s visa was unfair, and that Australian Border Force authorities had not given him adequate opportunity to respond.
On Monday night, a spokeswoman for Mr Hawke said, “Following today’s Federal Circuit and Family Court determination on a procedural ground, it remains within Immigration Minister Hawke’s discretion to consider canceling Mr Djokovic’s visa.”
‘ The minister is currently considering the matter.’
Mr. Hawke has the authority to revoke the visa if he believes there is sufficient evidence and it is in the public interest.
If the government intends to revoke Djokovic’s visa, Judge Kelly ruled on Monday that the Federal Circuit Court must be given adequate notice so that it can prepare for future cases.
Djokovic broke his silence on Monday night, stating he still planned to compete in the Australian Open next week despite the federal government’s failure to rescind his visa.
‘I’m pleased and grateful that the judge overturned my visa cancellation,’ he wrote on Twitter.
‘Despite all that has happened, I want to stay and try to compete.
‘I remain focused on that. I flew here to play at one of the most important events we have in front of the amazing fans.’
The Australia Open starts on January 17 when Djokovic wants to launch his bid to become the most-decorated men’s singles player of all time.
The Serb is currently level with Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal on 20 Grand Slam titles. Federer is out of this year’s tournament with injury, while Nadal will be playing.