Nigerian Newspaper Headlines & Naija News Today, 24th May 2022
The following are the headlines from Nigerian newspapers and Naija News for today, May 24, 2022.
The following are today’s newspaper headlines and Naija news from Nigerian newspapers.
1. Out of 26,000 applicants, the Federal Government has selected approximately 8,800 for its overseas scholarship program. Bello Mustapha, Manager, Overseas Scholarship Scheme, Petroleum Technology Development Fund (PTDF), revealed this on Monday at the start of the applicant interviews at the Abuja center.
2. Taraba State Governor Darius Ishku has won the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) senatorial primary in southern Taraba. He won the primary with 154 votes.
3. Nnamdi Kanu, the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, has called for an end to the killings in the South-East. Mrs Ukamaka Ejezie, a newspaper hawker in Abia State known as ‘Mama Biafra,’ was also detained, according to Kanu. When his younger brother, Emmanuel Kanu, paid him a visit at the DSS detention center, he told this.
4. On Monday, an Ikeja Domestic Violence and Sexual Offences Court sentenced Mohammed Alidu, a former police officer, to life in prison for defiling a nine-year-old schoolgirl in a police barracks. Alidu was a shame to the police, according to Justice Abiola Soladoye, because he failed to enforce law and order and went around frolicking with an underage female.
5. The governors of the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC, met on Monday night to discuss issues related to the party’s upcoming presidential primary. Though journalists were denied entry to the conference, it was learned that the governors convened to assess the party’s actions leading up to the convention.
6. The All Progressives Congress (APC) has released a revised schedule of events for the governorship, State House of Assembly, Senate, and House of Representatives primaries. The governorship primary will be held on May 26th, Senate 27, House of Representatives 28, and presidential 29/30, according to a statement signed by the party’s National Publicity Secretary, Felix Morka.
7. Political thugs and hoodlums are suspected of attacking the campaign train of Osun State Governor Adegboyega Oyetola yesterday. The thugs also stormed the Nigerian Union of Journalists (NUJ) Correspondents’ Chapel bus, which was in the governor’s convoy.
8. Chuma Nzeribe, a former member of the House of Representatives and governorship aspirant in Anambra State, was found guilty of four counts of criminal charges brought against him by the Federal Government on Monday in Abuja.
9. Governor Samuel Ortom of Benue North West senatorial district has earned the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) ticket for the 2023 election. Ortom rose to prominence after being adopted by delegates from the Benue North West senatorial zone’s seven local government units.
10. Banky W, a Nigerian singer-turned-politician, has won the Peoples Democratic Party’s (PDP) House of Representatives Primaries for the Eti-Osa Federal Constituency. In an interview, Banky W’s aide Kennedy Salami revealed that the musician won by a landslide.