Nigerian chef, Hilda Baci breaks previous Guinness World Record
Hilda Effiong Bassey, better known as Hilda Baci, is a prominent Nigerian cook who has broken the previous Guinness World Record.
After reaching the 87 hours and 50 minutes mark, she is on track to break the Guinness World Record for the “longest cooking marathon by an individual” with her accomplishment.
The restaurant owner switched on her cooker at 4 p.m. on Thursday to start the competition, and on Monday morning she beat the previous world record holder.
If recognized by the Guinness World Records, she will succeed Indian chef Lata Tondon, who now holds the record with a record-breaking 87 hours and 45 minutes of nonstop cooking.
At the moment, Baci is engaged in a culinary marathon at Amore Gardens in Lekki, Lagos State.
Nigerians, including a number of celebrities, withstood the weather to physically encourage the obviously exhausted cook in her ongoing record-breaking endeavor.
On Monday morning, Baci reached the four-day milestone.
The chef took home a top prize of $5000 for winning the inaugural Jollof Face-off Competition in 2021.
The Guinness Book of Records is a reference book that contains human and natural world records.
It was first published in 1955 by the Guinness Brewery in Ireland and has since become one of the world’s most well-known and frequently read reference books.
Individuals or groups must submit proof to the Guinness World Records team and go through a verification process to qualify for a world record listing.
1. Gbenga Ezekiel – Record for the most skips in a minute on one leg. (February 2023)
2. Divine Ikubor aka Rema – Record for ‘Calm Down’ as the first No.1 Hit on The Official MENA Chart, the world’s first regional streaming chart. (May 2023)
3. Bose Omolayo – The heaviest para power lift by a female in the -79 kg category with 144 kg (December 2021)
4. Chukwuebuka Ezugha and Victor Richard Kipo – The most consecutive football passes with the soles (team of two). (December 2021)
5. Folashade Oluwafemiayo – The heaviest power lift by a female in the -86 kg category with 152.5 kg (December 2021)
6. Chinonso Eche – The most football headers in a prone position in one minute, which is 23. (October 2021)
7. Vincent Okezie – The most consecutive backward handsprings with a football (soccer ball) between the legs. (March 2022)
8. Haruna Abdulazeez – The most American football touches with the feet in one minute (October 2020)
9. Peter Aho – Record for six wickets for five runs in 3.4 overs against Sierra Leone. (October 2021)
10. Bayo Omoboriowo – The largest photo book, which was measured at 60.84 m² (654 ft² 87 in²). (September 2021)
Nigerian Chef, Hilda Baci has broken the Guinness World Record for the Longest Cooking Marathon by an Individual.
She is 88 hours in and going strong! pic.twitter.com/0CgSWgeJED
— Africa Facts Zone (@AfricaFactsZone) May 15, 2023
— Hilda Baci’s Cookathon (@hildabacicooks) May 13, 2023